Monday, October 10, 2011

Fall Fun and a Mother’s Nightmare

On Saturday morning, Jared and I had this great idea to take the boys to a pumpkin patch (in Frisco) to take a few pictures and pick out a couple of big pumpkins.  We got to the pumpkin patch around 11:30 and took a few pictures.

IMG_3490

IMG_3492

IMG_3494

IMG_3495

Well, that was fun and all, but that was my last smile for the next 5+ hours!

It was windy, and I didn’t want the boys to be out in the wind too much, so I told Jared to help me put the boys back in the tahoe and then he can go buy the pumpkins. 

Jared had just finished buckling Graham in and he started walking to get the pumpkins.  My hands were full of purse, phone, keys, Gage… So, I had the brilliant idea of remote starting my car, so the boys wouldn’t get too hot, put all my items in the front passenger seat, so I could buckle Gage in. 

Pause: Do you see where I am going with this story?  Dear CPS, I promise I am a GOOD mom!  Love, an exhausted, sleep deprived mom of multiples. :)

Anyway, I get Gage buckled in and close his door.  As soon as the door closed, I immediately tried to open it back up because I knew it had just locked!  But yet, I continue to pull jerk on the handle!  Seriously Jamie?!  What was I thinking?????  I went into crazy panic mode and started screaming at Jared to get to the car!  I told him what I did in between me hyper ventilating and crying hysterically!  Good thing he remained calm and he called 911 and explained what had happened.  (When you remote start our car, it stays on for 10 minutes and then shuts off, so by the time he called them, I knew we had about 8 minutes left before it shut off).  As soon as he hung up, probably 30 seconds later, we heard sirens.  It was them.  Yes, you read that right, SIRENS!  I mean I am thankful they did what they needed to do to get to us as quick as possible, but SIRENS?  Here we are, on Preston road, busiest street in Frisco, on a Saturday, at a small pumpkin patch and a huge fire truck pulls up (huge, as opposed to a regular one?)

Five firemen come running out of the truck and immediately go to work.  Two, worked on unlocking the door, two were on either side of my car talking and entertaining the boys to make sure they were okay (of course they were in there smiling and talking back to the firemen), and one stood with me, making sure I was okay.  Side note: The one with me was also collecting information from Jared, probably to send us a pretty bill for this adventure!  Anyway, they got the door open in about 2 minutes and the boys were fine.  Mommy, however, wasn’t okay for a long time.  I’m sorry boys, I will NOT make that mistake again!  I still get teary-eyed when I think what I did, although it could have been worse.  Thank you God for watching over us that day! 

**Later on that day, after all that fun, the boys took an extended nap.  When they woke up, they both were crying.  I went to get them up and said, “What’s a matter boys, did you have a nightmare that mommy locked you in the car?”  Didn’t know Jared was behind me and he quickly responded, “No,silly boys, that wasn’t a nightmare, mom really did that!”  Ha!  Glad he can joke about this!

I am so glad Jared was with me and remained calm.  He kept hugging me, assuring me everything was okay, and trying to make me not feel so horrible.  Oh, lesson learned!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jamie!! I am so sorry! That is terrifying! I did that with Berkley about 3 months ago. Do yall have On-Star? Even if you do not pay for it you can call onstar and have them unlock the doors. They will charge you an emergency fee but they can unlock the doors within minutes. :) Just in case...I haven't done it again since I am paranoid about it but I save the Onstar # in my phone. :)

    ReplyDelete