Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Say good-bye to the swaddle

I thought it would be awhile before we had to do this, but the past two weeks have proven that it is probably time. 

Since the time the boys were born in the hospital, they have been swaddled.  Whether it was in a regular blanket, “swaddle me,” and especially the last 2 months, the miracle blanket, we discovered the boys sleep the best swaddled up.  When the boys slept together, it helped to swaddle them so their hands wouldn’t hit and wake up the other baby (or themselves).  Sometimes, if they were so tired and they were fighting sleep, as soon as we swaddled them tight, they went right to sleep.  I think more than anything, the miracle blanket was a security for Jared and I, knowing that they would sleep better when swaddled, and the more they sleep, we sleep. :)  Two weeks ago, after we separated them, they slept through the night and have been since!  Props to the miracle blanket!

Look how peaceful they are when swaddled up…

openswaddle2

At the boys’ two month appt, I asked our pediatrician if we could swaddle the boys until they were at least 5 years old because they sleep so good.  Well, he said no, we could only swaddle them until 4 months (when they can roll over) or when they start breaking out of it consistently.  So when the boys turned 3 months old, I started thinking, “Okay, we only one more month left of swaddling…”  Well, much to my surprise, they had something different in mind.  One night, we heard fussing about 3 in the morning.  Jared and I wondered why they were fussing when they had been sleeping through the night.  When we checked our video monitor, we were surprised at what we saw.  We had to go into their nursery to make sure we weren’t “seeing things.”  Here is what we found…

open2swaddle

I don’t know how they do it, but this is a consistent thing now, happening every night and they won’t go back to sleep until we swaddle them again.  They aren’t 4 months old yet, so part of me wants to keep swaddling them for a couple more weeks, even if it means we have to get up and re-swaddle them.  But the other part of me knows that I need to bite the bullet and start the sleep sacks, which means at least a week of no sleep for all of us until they get used to it.  What to do??? 

Another stage come and gone

swaddle3swaddle4swaddle5swaddle6

1 comment:

  1. I just stumbled over here from Janet Hamilton's blog and had to comment. We have a Graham too! Your boys are so sweet. I hope they start sleeping well without their swaddles.

    ReplyDelete