Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Dallas Metro PCS 1/2 marathon aka White Rock

On Sunday, December 9th, I ran another 1/2 marathon (my third race-two halves and a full marathon).

6

(pre-race pic with my hubby and sister. of course, Julie and I had to match and coordinate with Jared)

I used to run all the time.

When I was around 5th grade, I started running with my dad at the track.

In jr. high and high school, I ran track and cross country.  Don’t look me up.  I ran to stay in shape, not necessarily to compete :)

And I’ve been running all these years, until I started IVF treatment.  Then, I had to stop.

A little over two years later, think July 31st, I picked running back up and decided I wanted to train for another 1/2.

My sister, her husband Jerrod and my husband (never having run before) decided we should all do it together.

(Jerrod, Julie’s husband, decided mid August, this whole running a half wasn’t for him) :) he’s the smart one!

Not gonna lie, starting to train for a half, in the middle of a hot summer, very out of shape, was not my best idea. 

But instead of the usual 12 weeks it would take to train, I figured I needed a few extra weeks months!

Now that I have kids, it makes training very hard.

Either, they come with me and I have to push the BOB on my route or I wake up super early, when it’s dark and scary out, and run.

I mainly took the boys with me on my routes.

Except Saturdays, which were my long runs, Jared would babysit while I ran, and vise versa.

I only missed three days of training because of stomach bug hitting our whole family.

We ran 5 out of 7 days a week.

I was committed and determined.

Anyway, I decided I run the best in cold weather, which was the weather for my previous races, and the worst in hot/humid weather (every day in Dallas, TX).

The morning of the race, it was

100% humidity and 71 degrees!

Really?

Even though I drank water all weekend, who am I kidding, I drink it all the time, I was still dehydrated.

I don’t ever carry water when I run.  In fact, in my full marathon, I might have had a sip of water in all the 26.2 miles.

2

(at the starting line- oh, and we met up with Julie’s friend, Lexi too)

But, in this particular race, at Mile 2, when I saw the ambulance loading people up on stretchers, I knew I had to stay hydrated and drink as much water as possible.

The first 5 miles weren’t bad at all.

Besides the usual weaving in and out of the crowds of people, it was good.

Mile 6, my music quit playing. Grrr

Mile 8, I was super thirsty and sweating a lot!

Mile 9, I started getting chills and dizzy. Not a good sign

Mile 10, not sure I was going to make it.

Mile 11, Jared continued to encourage me and bring me water while I was running.

Mile 12 to Mile 13.1 was the longest 1.1 miles of my LIFE!!!!

But I made it.

(We all did)

1

Dehydrated and all.

Was walking a choice for this stubborn girl? NO way.  Not after I had been training all these months.

I pushed through and prayed a lot!

I finished 10 seconds slower than my first half (5 years ago).

I know I was dehydrated, and I’m old, and have kids (who sometimes keep me up at night), but wow, it was a little tougher this race.

My sister and Jared did AMAZING, by the way, especially for their first race!!!

I was so proud of them!

4

Thanks to Jared for literally pulling me across the finish line.

(Honey was too busy with the boys to take pictures of them while we were racing) :)

Thanks to Honey for staying home and babysitting the kiddos.

5

Thanks to my dad and Jerrod for coming and cheering us on!

The rest of the day, after my much needed shower, I chose to lay in bed and wait for the aching and cramping of my body to be over.

Monday morning, I felt like a brand new woman!

Cowtown 1/2  2012, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment