Thursday, June 23, 2011

What a year can bring!

I have been meaning to blog about our infertility, but it is still hard to go back and think about where we started.  So here it goes… 

This week will be 2 years since I had my first ectopic pregnancy.  It was the most painful experience (physically and emotionally) I have ever been through.  At the time, I was seeing another OB and she did my emergency surgery and literally saved my life and I am so thankful to her for that.  But because of some other things that happened after that surgery, I did not go back to her.  Well, December came around and I was still not pregnant, so one of my good friends, Kelly Cardwell, told me about this fertility doctor.  I looked him up on the internet and read all these great articles about him and decided to set up an appt. with him at the end of December.  I struggled with this because I wasn’t sure if I was messing with God’s will by going through fertility.  Was I being impatient?  Should I just continue to wait impatiently?  We had been trying for a year at that time.  Then, another good friend, Katie Schleider and her mom, sent me this sermon their pastor had preached about fertility and it made me feel better about the situation.  Besides, it was ultimately up to God if he wanted to get me pregnant, not a doctor. 

So we met with the Dr. Rodriguez and immediately fell in love with him and his staff. 

IMG_2886

(Linda with Gage, Dr. Rodriguez with Graham, and Laurena.  The boys were 12 weeks old when I finally got to introduce them to these wonderful people)

We started with clomid and I got pregnant the first month (March).  When I was about 6 weeks along, we went to get our first sono and saw that there was not an embryo and knew it was probably another ectopic pregnancy.  So they gave me a shot to stop the pregnancy hormones and try to prevent another ectopic surgery.  A couple of weeks later, in April, I got to school and had that same horrible pain I remembered I had from June.  I was at school and had one of my team members take me to the hospital for another ectopic surgery.  Well, Dr. Rod had just had surgery on his shoulder so he was not able to do my surgery that morning and I was disappointed but he promised me a good surgeon.  That’s where Dr. MacDonald comes in.

IMG_2605

(Jackie with Graham and Dr. Mac with Gage, the boys are 6 weeks here.  Jackie is actually Linda’s daughter)

He/we went into surgery thinking he would remove my last and final tube (right side) and found that my left tube was still in there and was never removed (that is another story).  So he removed both tubes and I knew my only hope to get pregnant was to do In Vitro.  With my other surgery, it took me 2 weeks to recover and after this one, I was up and walking day 2.  I knew then, what a good doctor he was and knew he was able to handle any situation so I decided to start seeing him for my OB.  He even called me several times after surgery to check and see how I was doing. 

June came around again and it was time to order my medication and start the process.  Here is the medicine I received in the mail in one day.  Overwhelmed much?

meds

Then, after I started my medication, Dr. Rodriguez and Linda (his nurse) typed up a calendar for this process.  Here are the calendars.

calendar1 calendar2

On Wednesday, July 21, they retrieved 18 eggs to be fertilized.  And then on Monday, July 26, with a day 5 transfer, they transferred these 2 precious embryos.

embryos 

The best part of that morning, is they brought us this picture and Jared and I were able to pray over these two embryos before they transferred them inside me. 

It’s hard to believe that these embryos formed into these precious miracles!

IMG_2857

God is an amazing and faithful God.  He has perfect timing.  Through all of this, God has brought Jared and I the closest we have been to each other and to Him. 

Thank you God for these precious miracles you have blessed us with and trusted us with :) .  Thank you for these doctors and nurses you brought into our lives.  Thank you for all of our family and friends who prayed over us through this time.  We pray for these boys daily and pray as parents that you give us the wisdom and knowledge to raise these boys the way you want us to.   

2 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing your story. i loved reading about god's faithfulness. your little boys are precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing!! Read this with tears in my eyes! God is so faithful! I love how you got the pictures of your Drs.

    ReplyDelete