Monday, February 11, 2013

RSV

The weekend of January 18-20, Jared was going to a bachelor party  for his best friend, Craig.  Listen, the boys are almost two.  I realize I can take care of them all by myself since I do it all day, everyday.  But, if you’re a mom, whether a working mom or not, you look forward to the weekends to spend with your family, including your husband.  And if you’re a little selfish like me, you look forward to the help so you can run errands or clean house with out two precious angels getting in your way. :)

Anyway, I told Jared I needed to invite my parents up for the weekend so they could play with the boys and I could get stuff done.  It was going to work out perfect for everyone.  Well, Wednesday afternoon, the week of Jared leaving, Graham up from his nap with 101 temp.  I was a little worried it was the flu, since it has been so bad lately.  I gave him motrin but it wasn’t doing anything so Jared stayed home with him on Thursday while I took Gage to school with me.  Graham was acting ok, just not sleeping much and started coughing a lot.  His fever was gone by Friday morning and all was well at the Peel house, or so I thought.  My parents got here Friday afternoon and we played and played and played.  I noticed Gage started coughing a lot that afternoon, but thought nothing of it. Insert MOM of the YEAR here!!!!

Went to bed, excited for the whole bed to myself and ready to get a good night’s sleep and maybe even sleep in a bit since the parents were here.  HA! An hour into my sleep, I was woken up by Gage coughing and crying.  No matter how sick Gage is, he NEVER wakes up in the middle of the night, ever!  He will be sick the moment he wakes up for the day, but never effects him at night.  Graham, completely different story. Another day, another blog on him.  Anyway, I got up with Gage and noticed he was wheezing really bad and couldn’t breathe very well.  The only way I could get him to sleep was sitting up, against my chest.  Which is fine and all, except that means no sleep for me.  Sidenote: I’m a high maintenance sleeper and can only sleep well in the comfort of my own bed, with no babies around, and nothing touching me.  So, that’s how Gage “slept,” if we can even call it that, the rest of the night. Humidifier on, and laying on my chest.  Oh, it was a rough and loooooong night.

The next morning, I started calling the pediatrician the minute they opened and it was busy for 20 minutes and then when I got through, I was put on hold for another 15.  Every child in Frisco was obvi sick that weekend and needed an appointment ASAP.  Sometimes, I hesitate calling the pediatrician bc I worry I will have to pay 2 co-pays for them to tell me that my boys have a “cold” and there is nothing you can do about it.  But my motherly instincts kicked in and told me to take him in anyway.  Come to find out, he had the early stages of RSV and chances are he caught it from his brother, which explains Graham’s fever and coughing.  We left with 3 prescriptions; one for the masks, one for the defibulator, and one for the medicine.  It’s too long of a story to tell you that we had to wait over an hour at the pharmacy and three calls to the on call doctor later, (I was charged for all three of those calls, oh by the way) before we could get any meds.  Did you know you have to have a prescription just for the stinkin’ mask? What?

Anyway, thankfully my dad was with me, because I may have had a few more meltdowns, on top of the 10 I had there, if he wasn’t with me.  We got the stuff and headed home to do our first breathing treatments.  It was a night mare! LET me tell ya.  My aunt came over to help too.  It took my parents, my aunt, and me just to hold down each child to give them their breathing treatment, individually.  We sang songs, played on the ipad, watched Rio, pulled out all the tricks to distract them from the loud and scary noises and bubbles from the machine.  We got through it, and learned real quick how crazy it made Gage.  It didn’t affect Graham as much, but Gage was a maniac!  Literally bouncing off the walls!  Until we put him to bed at 7:30.  He didn’t fall asleep until 11.  It was like that for the next 4 days.  Until I decided their cough was “better” and they didn’t need the stinking meds anymore. 

So thankful my parents were in town to help.  I couldn’t have done it without them.

RSV is no joke.  Thankful they didn’t have this when they were babies.  We survived it and pray we don’t get that again!

rsv

the devil- notice the brand has the word devil in it.  Coincidence? I think not!

rsv-1

the dang mask we had to have a presciption for and they won’t even wear it

rsv-2

this is a recent picture of him doing his breathing treatments.  don’t let him fool you.  he or Graham is EVER this happy when they do them.  I just told him to “blow bubbles” and that was funny I guess.

SO thankful my babies are happy and healthy, at least today. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment