Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Best Day of our married life!

March 25, 2011

 

My original due date for the twins was April 13, 2011.  Because full term for twins is around 36-37 weeks, Dr. MacDonald set our C-section date for Friday, March 25, 2011 at 7:30AM.  I was 37 weeks and 2 days. 

 

The night before, Thursday night, my mom, dad, and sister and Jared’s mom and dad came in town.  We all went to eat at Babe’s and then came back to our house and talked about the big day tomorrow.  Later, when we went to bed, all of these thoughts starting running through my head.  This was the last night I was going to bed with our family of two (Jared and I).  Tomorrow it would double!  I also had so many anxious thoughts about the c-section, the recovery, the boys health, what they would look like and so on.  I couldn’t believe that I was going to be a mommy the next morning!  So exciting but then also scary.  What if  I can’t take care of them?  Was I going to be a good mom?  What if I slept through my alarm and missed the c-section?  I know, crazy thoughts. Wow, I eventually had to turn off my brain and try to relax and get some rest.  After all, everyone said “Enjoy the sleep while you can!” Jared and I finally fell asleep around 12:00.  We had to be at the hospital at 5:30 so we wanted to leave by 5:00.  I set my alarm for 4:00 but Jared and I woke up at 3:30 ready to go! 

 

When we got to the hospital, we had to check in and fill out all this paperwork.  Then, they took us to our room.  Before I had to put on my gown, I had the nurse take one more picture of Jared and I. 

IMG_2372 

Wow! I do not remember being this big! 

Then, it was time to get my gown on so they could start my IV and get this show on the road.  About 6:30, our families showed up and got to hang out in our room until it was time for me to go.  I was so nervous, Jared was just excited.  Here are some pictures Linda took of Jared.

gg1

gg2

gg3

gg4

 

About 7:15, my doctor, Dr. MacDonald came in the room and said it was time.  So I said bye to our family and Jared.  When they got me in the O.R., I had a nurse named Courtney and she talked me through everything.  She told me exactly everything I was going to feel during the spinal and epidural.  It was not bad at all.  Then, they put me on the table and I kept asking them when Jared was coming in.  They sent an intern to go get Jared and by the time he got in the room it was 7:45.  I asked Jared when they were going to start cutting me open and he said, “They are about to pull the first baby out!”  Awesome, I couldn’t feel a thing!  When they pulled “A” out, I was really hoping Jared was going to name him Gage because my type A personality wanted the boys in alphabetical order, Gage first and then Graham.  As they pulled baby “A” out, I heard Jared say “He looks like a Gage!”  Gage was born at 7:50AM weighing 6 lbs 8 ounces and 18 1/2 inches long.

IMG_2376

IMG_2390

Graham was born at 7:51AM weighing 6 lbs 7 ounces and measuring 18 1/2 inches long.  I couldn’t believe how close in weight they were!

IMG_2380

IMG_2386

Pretty soon after they pulled the boys out, Jared told me they were going to have to take Gage to the NICU because he was breathing very fast.  So, Jared went with Gage and the nurses to the NICU, they finished putting me back together and then took Graham and I to our recovery room.  I was so happy to have the bonding time with Graham but I was also so scared for Gage. 

He ended up staying in the NICU for about 6 hours and then they brought him to me and I got to bond (skin to skin) with him immediately.  It was the best feeling to have both of our boys safely in my arms!  After 3 years of waiting for out miracles, they were finally here!

IMG_2409 

I was one happy momma!

Proud grandparents and aunt!

IMG_2412

Proud Granna and Honey!

IMG_2415

IMG_2423

Happy “BIRTH”day Gage and Graham!  Looking forward to many more birthday parties with both of you!  Mommy and Daddy love you sooooo much and we are glad you both are finally here!

2 comments:

  1. yay! yay! yay! i have been anxiously waiting for this blog post. the boys are sooo cute!! and you are glowing!! hope everything is going well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're so happy for ya'll!! They are precious and so healthy-thank you Lord. Can't wait to meet them. Hope you enjoy every minute. Terri & Kevin

    ReplyDelete